Friday, November 2, 2012

Dredd Review


Review BY: Tim Donaldson

When I heard that they where remaking the 1995 film Judge Dredd my fist thoughts were not another remake. Then it hit me, the original was not that great and was a complete failure of a film. There was not much going for the film and is really only a classic to a small amount of people. So I was looking forward to see a new take on the film and to see if they could do a better job. So what's the new one like; well it’s OK.

Dredd is an Entertaining film to say the least but it’s not ground-breaking like I wanted it to be. What I could not help was see flaws that the original film had and the lack of story .The film is artistically pleasing and looks amazing. Everything from the costumes to the sets are just great, but there's just not much going on in the story. I will give you a small rundown of Dredd. In the future there are Officers called Judgment Officers and their job is to take down big and dangerous missions in what seems to look like a rundown world that has been overtaken by crime. When Dredd is called to a homer-side crime in a large apartment centre that is many stories high, Dredd and his apprentice get trapped when a large mob group locks down the building. That there is the basics of the story.
The thing that gets to me is that the writers had so much chance to make a great story here, but in the end that just make it a typical survival and escape mission. Some things that happen seem to be easy ways out to end a scene or the film and it looked like the writers were kind of writing the film as it was being made. Now not everything about this film is bad, as I said before it looks amazing and the attention to little things is so good. Karl Urban as Dredd does a great job and Lena Headey as Ma-Ma is amazing. Now I’m not saying don’t see this film but I would probably wait to rent it later on next year. With many better films out at the moment like Argo this just does not come close to being great. I was never really bored with Dredd and I did not fall asleep considering I went to a late 9.30pm screening. It's fun and funny at times, but don't go in expecting a Oscar worthy story because It's just your typical action movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment